Your selected question
How do I complete a pre-authorisation?
It's unlikely that the final bill will be exactly the same as the pre-authorised amount. If this is the case, a further pre-authorisation may be required.
If the final bill falls within 15% of the pre-authorised amount
No additional authorisation is necessary. You are protected up to the value of 15% above the pre-authorised amount.
If the final bill is greater than 15% of the pre-authorised amount
A further authorisation will be required for the difference. This must be obtained before carrying out the completion transaction.
If the final bill is lower than 15% of the pre-authorised amount
A further authorisation will be required for the correct value and you must cancel the initial pre-authorisation code.
When the final amount is confirmed with the customer, take the following procedure to complete a pre-authorised transaction.
1. At the READY prompt, press MENU button
2. Use the arrow buttons to view the available options and press the GREEN ENTER button when the Completion option is highlighted.
3. Key in the final amount of the transaction and press the GREEN ENTER button
4. Either insert or swipe the customer's card
5. You'll be prompted to enter the pre-authorised code and press the GREEN ENTER button.
The transaction will now continue as a normal sale.
Please note that due to Maestro regulations, you can't take a pre-authorisation on Maestro or UK Maestro cards.
How useful did you find the answer given?Not at all Very useful